Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Blackhole Weekend

So this weekend's training, not so much!  We went to San Antonio for a little mini-vacation.  Spent Saturday and Sunday at Fiesta Texas and Sea World, so I did a lot of walking...that will make me an ironman right?  Not likely!  In the end, I took a few days off from training, but got back into the saddle (literally) yesterday with a solid 16 mile ride and 4 mile run.  I actually felt great after the break so I didn't lose too much momentum.  This week's schedule is pretty similar to last week's as far as training.  Wednesday is a swim/bike, Thursday is a swim/run, Friday I am going to do a 2 hour ride/easy swim, then shoot for 50 mile bike on Saturday.  Sunday is a bike/long run. 

One thing I haven't been able to incorporate consistently thus far is my strength training so that's my goal for this week.  I need to get at least 3 days of strength training a week especially during this base-building phase.  I'm too addicted to high impact exercise in general, so I tend to avoid lifting...all the standing around really bugs me.  I end up doing jumping jacks or jump squats in between sets, and all the big beefy guys look at me like I'm insane.  Of course most of them couldn't even do a jumping jack because they avoid cardio like the plague!  As my brilliant  nephew once pointed out after seeing a body builder at the gym, "When you're really strong, you walk funny!"

So here's to the rest of this week building basal cardio fitness and strength!

No comments:

Post a Comment