Sunday, March 6, 2011

From IronGirl to IronMom

So I am sure many of you have noticed that its been a long while since I've posted, and that my "training" seems to have trailed off significantly in recent months.  I suppose it is time to let you know that I will not be completing my first Ironman in May.  I will instead be taking an another role in my already over-labeled life, Mom!  I am about thirteen weeks pregnant with our first baby, and I am so excited about the challenges ahead.  So far, it has been a most eye opening and not always pleasant experience.  While seeing my baby for the first time was one of the greatest moments of my life, I cannot say that the months of nausea, fatigue, and piling on the pounds despite being careful about diet and exercise have been much fun!  Today, there is not a single part of my body that in any way resembles iron, but c'est la vie.

We will welcome IronBaby Stark in September of this year.  While we don't yet know the sex, I think we can be sure he or she will be an exceptional athlete, musically gifted, and astonishingly intelligent.  How could (s)he not be given that (s)he was conceived while I was training for an Ironman??  I'm still running and will continue to do so until I can no longer waddle around.  The biking has had to go on hiatus because as you all know, I am terrified of falling and much too clumsy to be trusted on my bike whose tires are about an inch thick.  I haven't been swimming because I just can't face the sight of myself in a swimsuit, but I pledge to get back to the pool very soon.  I am hopeful that when my bump begins to resemble a baby instead of 20 pounds of flab, I will get some confidence back!

As I am sure I will have plenty of baby weight to lose, I still have Ironman in my sights.  My 30th year will continue until June 2012, so I promise you all and myself that I will carry the Ironman moniker by the end of my 30th year here on earth!  Perhaps it will be Texas Ironman next May, or Brasil, China, France, or Couer D'Alene.  Time will tell!  In the meantime, I hope to continue this blog to keep you updated on my pregnancy and all the other crazy things I put myself through in life!

2 comments:

  1. YAHOOOOOO!!!! So excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is fantastic!!!! Congratulations. I'm remembering one of our meetings and you telling a room full of graduate students/professors that one of your goals in life was to be a mommy. I thought that was amazing! I know you'll be a fantastic and confident mom! Here's some of my favorite mom's tips: natural birth (no drugs), husband coached childbirth by Bradley, Ellimination communication, babysigningtime.com, babysteals.com, Suzuki Early Childhood education (since you mentioned music). Hugs and God bless you both!

    ReplyDelete